What does membership get you?
VCSS is a professional group for Virginia Social Studies teachers. We are affiliated with the National Council for the Social Studies. VCSS Members have the opportunity to apply for:
our Teacher of the Year award
the Loraine Stewart Mini-Grant for classroom projects
the Citizenship Award
the Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Excellence in Teaching Award
Join by filling out this form.
Whether you're a member or not, find information here about what's going on!
2017|Jeannine Chewning from Hermitage High School, Henrico
2018|Beau Dickenson from Rockingham County and Moton Museum in Farmville
2016|The Holocaust Commission of the United Jewish Federation of Tidewater
2017|Virginia Museum of Fine Arts
2018|Frontier Culture Museum
2004|Mayo Carter from Chancellor MS
2005|Tara Riley Krohn form Woolridge ES
2006|India Sharpe Meissel from Lakeland HS
2008|Craig Blackman from Indian River HS
2009|Elva Card from W. T. Woodson HS
2010|Scott Mace from Charlottesville HS
2011|Roderick Zano from Princess Anne HS
2012|Katie Blomquist from Sunrise Valley ES
2013|Kelley Graves from Hickory MS
2014|Tanya Siwik from Garfield ES
2015|Patricia Carlson from Arlington MS
2016|Allen Ruliffson from Hilliard MS
2017|Tracey Zaval Horvath
Seeking new Area Representatives
The requirements for being a VCSS Area Representative are simple: 1) be a member of VCSS; and 2) live in the area you represent.
The responsibilities of VCSS Area Representatives are mainly outreach-oriented. Area reps are expected:
(1) to recruit teachers in their area to join VCSS;
(2) to disseminate information to members and prospective members;
(3) to bring concerns from their area to the board;
(4) to contribute Teacher Highlights to our blog twice a year;
(5) to attend our state conference (VCSSE); and
(6) to attend our board meetings, which occur 3-4 times a year.
Future growth opportunities for the role of Area Representatives:
(1) Organize fun local VCSS outings such as museum meet-ups, ball games or brewery tours; and
(2) Organizing small PD opportunities for members.
If interested, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org