What does membership get you?
VCSS is a professional group for Virginia Social Studies teachers. We are affiliated with the National Council for the Social Studies. VCSS Members have the opportunity to apply for our Teacher of the Year and for a Loraine Stewart Mini-Grant for classroom projects.
Join by filling out this form.
Seeking new Area Representatives
The requirements for being a VCSS Area Representative are simple: 1) be a member of VCSS; and 2) live in the area you represent.
The responsibilities of VCSS Area Representatives are mainly outreach-oriented. Area reps are expected:
(1) to recruit teachers in their area to join VCSS;
(2) to disseminate information to members and prospective members;
(3) to bring concerns from their area to the board;
(4) to contribute Teacher Highlights to our blog twice a year;
(5) to attend our state conference (VCSSE); and
(6) to attend our board meetings, which occur 3-4 times a year.
Future growth opportunities for the role of Area Representatives:
(1) Organize fun local VCSS outings such as museum meet-ups, ball games or brewery tours; and
(2) Organizing small PD opportunities for members.
If interested, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2004|Mayo Carter from Chancellor MS
2005|Tara Riley Krohn form Woolridge ES
2006|India Sharpe Meissel from Lakeland HS
2008|Craig Blackman from Indian River HS
2009|Elva Card from W. T. Woodson HS
2010|Scott Mace from Charlottesville HS
2011|Roderick Zano from Princess Anne HS
2012|Katie Blomquist from Sunrise Valley ES
2013|Kelley Graves from Hickory MS
2014|Tanya Siwik from Garfield ES
2015|Patricia Carlson from Arlington MS
2016|Allen Ruliffson from Hilliard MS
2017|Tracey Zaval Horvath
Whether you're a member or not, find information here about what's going on!